June 16, 2021

Samukai under Probe in US?

first_imgReports reaching the Daily Observer say that the Pentagon, Headquarters of United States Defense establishment, is investigating Liberia’s Defense Minister Brownie Samukai over the recent shooting in West Point, Monrovia, of unarmed civilians by the US-trained Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL).US-trained AFL soldiers, while performing her first public engagement since its restructuring had an altercation with defenseless civilians on August 20, 2014, killing one and wounding two others. According to sources close to the Defense Ministry, Washington is extremely angry about the “unfortunate” situation in Liberia, and called for an immediate probe.The US is outraged over the shooting because the world’s only real superpower feels that  training and procuring of  weaponry for the Liberian army was provided by the US people and government, our sources said.“For about a week now, Minister Samukai had been facing questioning relating to the shooting. He has been answering questions ranging from why such excessive force was used in dislodging the crowd, who gave the order to shoot, why did Samukai give conflicting accounts about the incident from the onset, why was the army deployed in a civilian matter and why the Township was quarantined in the first place.“He has been facing US investigators about the incident for few days now and is expected back in the country on or after Monday September  8, 2014. Washington is highly disappointed in the army because the army was trained by the US and weapons used in the standoff were provided to Liberia by Washington from the West African state of Senegal.Assistant Defense Minister for Public Affairs David Dahn  declined to comment on issues raised when our reporter placed a call to him yesterday afternoon.“I have no knowledge on when the Minister left Liberia and I don’t know the intent of his trip. You can come to my office tomorrow and I will give you the information, but I don’t know now,” Dahn declared.When contacted for in further  inquiry, the Information Assistant in the Public Affairs Section of the US Embassy near Monrovia, Robert P. Clarke, Jr., declined to comment.“The Embassy is closed right now and you can’t get anybody to speak to your concerns.  Everybody is off office and no official will take calls on that issue, if even I give you numbers,” Clarke asserted.The Chairman on the House Committee on Defense and Intelligence, George S. Mulbah, said his Committee is not aware of the information.“But,” he added, “Liberia is a sovereign state and our army will be investigated by ourselves,” ignoring Washington’s overwhelming support to the army over the years.“Armies around the world, including the US, are not perfect and when things happen the government concerned takes up the issues. US soldiers that committed crimes in Iraq were prosecuted in the US and not in any other country,” Representative Mulbah pointed out.The Bong County lawmaker condemned the shooting, adding; “My Committee has communicated with Defense Ministry authorities, calling for a conference as part of the House’s own way of investigating the standoff.”He noted that the army would investigate and prosecute those liable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).The West Point incident is the army’s first interaction with the public amidst the drawdown process of the United Nations Mission in Liberia, UNMIL.Before this situation, some AFL soldiers have had personal outbursts with the citizens leading to serious commotion.In 2012, AFL officer Mccquinson Emmanuel stabbed Perry Togba, a motorcyclist, for demanding a balance LD$10 transport fare after the cyclist had dropped him and his fiancée.That situation led Gbarnga City, Bong County to experience a very “chaotic scene on Wednesday, December 12, 2012, when officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP) and some “pen-pen” riders( motorcyclists) clashed.  Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Posted in lpkspjdvlocgTagged ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Leave a Comment on Samukai under Probe in US?

Report: Torre may be bound for Dodgers

first_imgAlthough there were multiple reports out of New York on Monday that the Dodgers were close to hiring, or had already hired, Joe Torre as their manager, what little word there was coming from the organization indicated otherwise. That did not mean, however, that the Dodgers aren’t exploring the possibility of replacing their current manager, Grady Little, with Torre, whose 12-year tenure at the helm of the New York Yankees ended last week when Torre rejected a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives. A story in Monday’s editions of the New York Post, citing two sources with “knowledge of the Dodgers’ universe,” said the club is talking with Little about possibly buying out his contract, which also carries an option for 2009. Another story that hit the wires on Monday night, from the Journal News of Westchester (N.Y.) County, which also cited two sources “close to the situation,” said Torre could be named the Dodgers’ manager in the next 24 hours. “There has been a time or two that something has been in the newspaper that hasn’t been true,” Torre said. “There is nothing to any of it, so far.” The key words to that statement might be “so far.” Although nothing appears imminent, there are indications that the Dodgers are at least exploring the possibility of replacing Little with Torre – and it is possible that exploration is going on at a level higher than Colletti. Both Colletti and Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said at the end of the season that Little will return in 2008. But that was before it became clear that Torre wouldn’t be returning to the Yankees. Meanwhile, Dodgers officials have been conspicuously silent in recent days, to the point that few in the organization are even returning calls from reporters. The only official comment to come out of Chavez Ravine on Monday was a vague dismissal of the matter by the club’s chief spokesperson. “Grady Little is the manager of the Dodgers,” said Camille Johnston, the Dodgers’ senior vice president for communications. “Beyond that, there is no further comment.” Torre, 67, managed the Yankees for 12 seasons, the longest uninterrupted tenure of any Yankees manager since Casey Stengel (1949-60). Torre guided the club to the playoffs every year and won 10 division titles, six American League pennants and four World Series. But the Yankees haven’t won a World Series since 2000 and were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round each of the past three seasons. One interesting subplot of the Dodgers possibly hiring Torre has to do with Don Mattingly, who was Torre’s bench coach this season and his hitting coach the previous three seasons. Mattingly was widely considered the favorite to succeed Torre until that job ultimately went to Joe Girardi on Monday, and Mattingly’s agent released a statement later in the day saying his client was “extremely disappointed” that he didn’t get the job. The statement went on to say Mattingly had informed the Yankees he wouldn’t accept a position as a coach on Girardi’s staff. That would make Mattingly a natural fit for a potential Torre staff in Los Angeles, especially given that Mattingly’s son, Preston, is a highly regarded Dodgers prospect. Preston Mattingly, a second baseman, batted .210 this season at Single-A Great Lakes. Little, 57, just completed his second season as Dodgers manager. Although he led the club to the playoffs as a wild card in 2006 – the Dodgers were swept in the first round by the New York Mets – the team collapsed down the stretch this year and finished fourth in the National League West with an 82-80 mark after losing 11 of its final 14 games. It was during that stretch, on Sept. 20, that a clubhouse rift between the veterans and young players became public when second baseman Jeff Kent complained to reporters after a loss at Colorado that several of the team’s promising young players, “don’t get it.” That same week, a reporter for the Dodgers’ radio affiliate, KFWB, citing unnamed players as his source, said Little had lost the clubhouse. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti didn’t respond to messages left both on his office and cell phones. Little didn’t respond to messages left on his office, cell and home phones. But one Dodgers source with knowledge of the situation said “there is no truth to the story as it presently stands,” a long way from saying there is no truth to the story at all. Another source within the organization, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, “I don’t know where any of this is coming from, but if you write it, you’ll look like an idiot.” Meanwhile, Torre himself made a guest appearance Monday night on the Late Show with David Letterman in which Letterman asked Torre about rumors involving him and the Dodgers. last_img read more

Posted in jqmsncdfeqhbTagged ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Leave a Comment on Report: Torre may be bound for Dodgers